Thursday, August 04, 2005
Finally, I have a diagnosis. After years of what has probably been ridicule from friends and family, I can now say that I have S.O.D. Shoe Obsession Disorder. That’s right, it’s a DISORDER!

“According to a new British survey, S.O.D is more widespread than you might think. One third of the 2000 women interviewed admitted owning more than 25 pairs of shoes, while an astonishing 86% confessed to buying at least one new pair of shoes every month” … “This means that by the time the typical Englishwoman reaches the age of 80 she will have splashed out, on average, £31,680 (NZ$82,000) on footwear and spent three years of her life shoe shopping”. [The Dominion Post, 4 August 05]

Wow. NZ$82,000 on shoes. And that’s just the average women. I have a feeling I’m more above average.

So, I’m going to work how much I will have spent on shoes from the age of about 14 (that’s when S.O.D started) to lets say 80, and lets say the average shoe cost is NZ$200.

66 (years) x 12 (number of shoes bought per year) = 792

792 (pairs of shoes) x NZ$200 (average shoe price) = NZ$158,400

NZ$158,400

Oh.

My.

God.

I’m not sure if I should feel really chuffed, or a bit embarrassed. Seeing as the average NZ home is about $300,000, that means I would have spent, in my life time, the equivalent of half a house on shoes. Eep.

Now, it’d be interesting to see how much I’d’ve spent on books in a lifetime. I imagine that would be a high amount too.


Okay, so lets say I started buying books at age 14 to 80, and that I buy an average of 7 books per month, and the average book costs NZ$25.

66 (years) x 84 (number of books bought per year) = 5544

5544 (books) x NZ$25 (average book price) = NZ$138,600


NZ$138,600

Oh.

My.

God.

I'm going to die a poor woman! But at least I'd've died wearing some kick ass shoes and having read some very good books.

I'll make no mention of how much I'd've spent in a lifetime on booze, that number would be too scary to contemplate.

Tart at 5:15 PM |

0 Comments: