Sunday, May 17, 2009
I went to a few open homes today. Just interested to see what the market is like and what my (hypothetical) money would get me.

Even for $700,000 it wouldn't go far. I saw 4 apartments in the city today. Two must have all been done by the same developer because they had the exact same layout, decor, bathrooms etc. Exhibit A and Exhibit B. I found them okay but the living areas were small (considering each was a 3 bedroom apartment). Plus the layout was a little hotel like. Anything with a harbour view and a central location seems to automatically mean a price over $700,000.

I really like the look of this apartment (I bet that one goes for over $2mil), or some of the ones in the Hannah's Building. Would need to win Lotto to afford one of those though.

Of course, if I looked further out of the city, $700,000 would go quite a way. But I'm a snob when it comes to suburbs (yes, I bet I surprised you with that revelation LOL). I wouldn't live anywhere like Crofton Downs, Newlands or Tawa (totally soulless suburbs to me). I guess I'm spoiled in that I live central city and have got used to being in walking distance to everything. I've never actually owned a car, as I can walk everywhere (or get taxis). When the ex lived here, he had a car and it was a constant battle to get a park (as we'd be competing with other neighbours for on-street parking, and never seemed to get a park outside our place LOL).

In other riveting news, I made some chocolate cupcakes this afternoon. I'm waiting for them to cool before I ice them (and eat them!). I made up the recipe so hopefully they taste okay (if not, I'll just smother them in buttercream icing, everything tastes good with icing LOL).

Last night I was inspired to make a Spicy Prawn Pilaf (a Gordon Ramsey recipe), it was nice but not spicy enough! It was tasty but needed more heat. Of course, I made enough for four people so I have it in my freezer and no doubt will be eating it for dinner for the next few days. I can tell I'll be over pilaf by Tuesday LOL.

Tart at 4:50 PM |

2 Comments:

At 2:31 AM, Blogger Lizzy said........
I love house hunting and touring homes (we're currently on the hunt). We live in an older (OLD!) neighborhood in Salt Lake (Sugarhouse) and I think it's best of both world. Great location and close to everything, but with a neighborhood feel. I love it.

I wish homes weren't so expensive. I just know our first house will be a tiny fixer. If ever we find a good first one LOL. It's crazy what you can get way out in nowhere land for the same price as a cardboard box here LOL. Not fair.
 


At 4:22 AM, Blogger Shosh said........
Oh, I like the 'really love' link apartment. I'd pay a million dollars for the view!