Tuesday, June 24, 2008
This flat hunting business is so depressing.

There are some fantastic places that I just love, like this. But we can't afford to spend that much a week on rent. Actually we probably could, we're both earning good money, but I don't want to spend over $1000 a fortnight on rent while trying to save money for a deposit to buy our own place. If we spent that much money on rent, we'd have to go without certain things... like food LOL.

Then the rest of the flats available at the moment are really awful, dark, dingy and rundown. I know I'll have to compromise (perhaps a new kitchen isn't a "need to have" and is more of a "would be nice"?). I do know that I need a decent bathroom, I can't cope with mouldy manky shower stalls. Gag.

So I'll keep going on my quest to find the perfect flat. I hope it doesn't take too long. Of course, it would take less time if I had someone to help me, but that doesn't seem likely. Hopefully I'll have a place to live by the end of this week.

UPDATE, 9.20pm: Well, I may have a flat! The three people I put down as references on an application for an apartment were contacted today by the property management company! Woohoo. I liked this apartment (two bedroom, spacious, new bathroom, big kitchen) but didn't think we'd get very far as they had HEAPS of people at the viewing on the weekend. I haven't heard from the guy at the property management company yet, so fingers crossed! We could have a new flat by tomorrow.

Tart at 5:13 PM |

2 Comments:

At 2:38 AM, Blogger Lizzy said........
That apartment was $550 a week? Holy crap. We wouldn't be able to eat paying that much, either. We pay $950 a month for a 3 bed, 2 bath duplex in a highly priced area. We could never afford to buy a house in our current neighborhood (at least not until my husband goes from fresh, right out of law school attorney to hot shot, money-making attorney LOL), but we got a steal on rent.

I hope you guys get the other apartment though. That would be great! Then you could start organizing the kitchen (the only part of a move that I think is fun LOL).
 


At 7:01 AM, Blogger Shoshana said........
Wow! Finally. That's the beauty of having your own place. You get to decide when to move.

Are you having a garage sale before your moving day?