Thursday, May 18, 2006
Last night as I walked downtown to meet a friend for a few drinks, I noticed quite a few people in academic dress walking towards the Michael Fowler Centre for graduation (either Victoria or Massey University).

It is ten years since I graduated. Ten! Can't believe how long ago that is. I was young, full of hope, grandeoise ideas and sure that the perfect job was going to fall in my lap. I had a BA in Politics! I was going to set this city alight!

Funny how things work out.

I ended up being unemployed for over a year, living with my parents, watching a lot of Oprah, General Hospital and hanging out with my sister, who was a young mum at the time. I had no motivation to get a job at all. I'm surprised I didn't drive my parents spare, but they were very cool about it all. No pressure to get a job at all. The only thing they asked me to do was clean the house and do the grocery shopping each week. Though my dad did say that my BA degree stood for "bugger all" due to the fact that I had no discernable skills and no real interest in going into poliltics LOL.

In the end it all worked out fine. I scrapped together some money and spent 6 years travelling the world (and watching my student load skyrocket with the compounding interest LOL). I came home and after a few years of crap jobs, I finally found a job that I adore, for an organisation that works closing with policy makers and government departments.

I knew that BA in Politics would come in handy one day.

Tart at 11:15 AM |

3 Comments:

At 1:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Okay, I think I got the hang of the time difference. It's 8 a.m. Thursday here so it's roughly 1 a.m. Friday for you. I think! LOL
So Happy Friday to you.

6 Years traveling? God, I wished I had done that, even for just a year. Very cool!

Atleast a BA in Politics can lead you to a few differnet areas I had a B.S. In Exercise Science. Ask me how long I worked in that field. LOL

Hope you're doing well, have a beautiful day!

Ann
 


At 12:04 PM, Blogger Tart said........
Ann, how long did you work in the field of Exercise Science? LOL.

Yeah, the time differences I can never work out, all I know is that NZ is ahead of the US and I'm so glad that it's Friday! I'm ready for this week to be over.
 


At 9:21 PM, Blogger raspberry swyrl said........
You give hope to a girl who just graduated last year with a history degree.