Monday, July 17, 2006
Yesterday I met up with a good friend of mine for lunch. Also at lunch was my friend's sister and their mother.

Both my friend and her sister have recently got engaged, so the majority of the conversation was about weddings. None of this interested me, as my friend well knows, so she did try and steer the conversation away LOL (bless her).

But her mother! Oh man. What a fucking nightmare!

They were already at a table when I got to the cafe, and as I walked over the mother gave me a thorough once over, looking me up and down in a not very subtle way at all and looking at me like I was loopy for wearing a dress over jeans LOL. I felt like saying "honey, I'm not the one that's fashion impaired! You're wearing Jean Jones!".

As we were chatting, the coversation moved to relationships and weddings, the mother looked pointedly at me and said, "well I think there's nothing more sad than a single woman in her 30s...they get fat and depressed and then they will never find a man if they're fat!"

What the hell?

"I couldn't bear it if my girls never got married or had children... it's just so selfish" (another pointed look at me).


She continuted to talk on and on about "selfish career women" and how she "can never understand why a woman wouldn't want to get married and have children". (again, another stare at me).

Are you fucking kidding me? I so desperately wanted to say something to her, but the look on my friend and her sister face was enough for me to bite my tongue. They were embarrassed as hell. And I didn't want to say something nasty to this woman, even though she so deserved a bitch slapping! Unreal.

On the way home, my friend was very apologetic about her mother. I said I didn't want to say something nasty, so I just shut up LOL.


I'm so glad that my mother is not a complete nutter! I've never heard her say anything so ridiculous to me. But I guess I've been saying I don't want to get married or have kids since I was about 11, so she's probably given up all hope LOL. At least my sister has popped out three kids, so at least she's got some grandkids.

Tart at 1:53 PM |

8 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Tart, I don't know that I could've held my tongue and I'm a married, mother of 2. I don't see how not having children makes someone selfish. That baffles me. Good for you for taking the high road and not sinking to her level. She is obviously a bitchy woman who loves to get a reaction from people.

Oh, and I can't stand it when women look you up and down in an obvious attempt to scrutinize you. Errr! So rude.
 


At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Ann - you don't know how hard it was for me to not say something LOL. I just didn't want to say something to upset my friend, she's stressed enough with her nutbar mother and the wedding LOL.

I've met this once woman before, and she made thinly veiled references to me being a lesbian because I "didn't have a boyfriend and used to flat with other women".

WTF?

She's a freaking fruitloop :P

And yeah, she was very obvious about checking me out. I mean, I do it! (Usually I check out the shoes first LOL), but in a subtle way LOL
 


At 10:07 AM, Blogger Serendipity said........
That woman is unreal...bitch-slapping wouldn't be enough.

It's not selfish if you don't want/have kids. It's a choice. At least some people know when they're ready instead of popping out kids and then ignorning/abusing them. Duh!

I'm with Ann, it would have been very difficult for me to hold my tongue. I'd have left after the second pointed stare.
 


At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
The thing is, what annoyed me was that she had no idea if my decision to not have children was philosophical or physical, imagine if I couldn't have kids cos I had infertility problems? I mean, this woman should really engage her brain with her mouth before she talks LOL. I've had three apologetic texts from my friend again, and one from her sister LOL. As long as she stays away from me at the wedding next year, I'll be fine. :P
 


At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Tart, you're so right. But you know, she sounds like the kind of woman who puts her foot in her mouth all the time and doesn't even care. I imagine your friend and her sister were mortified, so it's nice for them that you were cool about it all. God, could you imagine dealing with her all the time, lol?

Now, I really think you should bring someone interesting to the wedding. Maybe give her a little shock, lol
 


At 4:53 PM, Blogger Tart said........
Ann, yes, she does have chronic foot in mouth disease LOL. I'm so glad she isn't my mother!

Maybe I should take Tattoo Freaky Boy to the wedding? That's bound to get her undies in a knot LOL.
 


At 12:57 PM, Blogger Serendipity said........
Hey, why not slap on a few temp tatoo on yourself too? Better yet, what about roller blades? That would totally rock!
 


At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Tart, definitely bring TFB to the wedding!