Wednesday, October 04, 2006
So, I bit the bullet today and signed up for a managed weightloss programme.

Over the last year to 18 months, I've found it harder to lose weight, despite eating right, exercising daily etc. I also was worried that I might be a candidate for diabetes if I don't get this increased weight gain under control.

So I went to the doctor and he tested my thyroid. Turns out I have hypothyroidism. With my doctors help, we've come up with a great plan for me to lose weight and get my thyroid back to normal. I'm using a combination of western and chinese medicine (I have acupuncture, take chinese herbs as well as levothyoxine). He also suggested I try a managed weightloss programme that he had found worked really well with his other patients controlling their thyroid levels and struggling to lose weight.

It's not Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers, but is a programme that is individually tailored to your specific medical conditions (e.g. if you have diabetes, hypothyroidism, high cholesterol etc).

Anyway, I went to meet the consultant today and find out more. It looks like a really good programme for me. It's not a starvation programme, nor do you have to buy any special foods or products, you get to eat quite a bit too! You have one-on-one consultations weekly, your health is monitored etc. So hopefully we'll see some positive results.

Side note: I have to laugh at the latest Jenny Craig ads with the woman who lost 5kgs on Jenny Craig? 5kgs? Come on. As my sister so crassly put it, "I've had dumps bigger than that" LOL.

So, wish me luck at Fatties Club!

Tart at 2:01 PM |

5 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
you go girl. btw, you are not fat. lova ya.

Rox
 


At 8:39 AM, Blogger Girlie said........
I'm with Rox, you're not a fatty.

Good luck to your program.

I too will venture into serioud workout after breastfeeding. It's not that long now, he's got teeth and he bites!
 


At 1:26 PM, Blogger feistyurchin said........
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 


At 1:28 PM, Blogger feistyurchin said........
That Jenny Craig ad is CRAZY. We all probably put on 5 kgs every day when we get dressed. Clothes and shoes and jewellery. All she had to do was weigh herself naked.

I convinced myself the only reason why I was stacking on the kilos was because I had a thyroid issue. I made my GP give me a blood test. Turns out I'm perfectly normal. Damn!
 


At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Alison, the JC ads I've seen lately not the Kirsty Alley ones but the local ones, always feature a person who lost about 5 or 8 kgs. Come on! I want to see some serious hefty people and their before and after shot...that way it gives me hope LOL.