Friday, November 17, 2006
I've had such a busy week at work...can't wait for the weekend.

I've been invited to Thanksgiving lunch that a few of my American friends are having on Sunday.

Now, being the good kiwi girl I am, I thought I could take a traditional thanksgiving dish with me, and did a bit of a google search for recipes.

No offense Americans, but some of these recipes sound a bit, well, weird!

Such as:

Candied Yams? I'm sorry, but a sweet potato (yam) is a savoury vegetable not a sweet. And to cover it in butter and pecans/walnuts sounds a bit off.

Next up is Orange Sherbet Salad, which is orange and lemon flavoured jelly (jello) layered with pineapple and mandarins. Not bad you say, I agree. I quite like jelly, reminds me of my childhood. Until I read that you eat it with Turkey. Ugh, no thanks LOL.

And I still don't get pumpkin pie. Pumpkin to me is again, a savoury vegetable, that I love roasted with my roast leg of lamb. I also like it roasted in a gourmet salad, or in vegetable lasagne. Not quite sure how it would be in a sweet pie.

In any case, I've decided to make these decandent brownies (I have a divine Nigella Lawson recipe), so that should go down a treat.

Oh, and only 8 sleeps till U2!

Tart at 1:32 PM |

1 Comments:

At 7:36 AM, Blogger Jo said........
well, come on not everyone likes candied yams. I definetly don't! I don't know that I have ever eaten orange sherbet salad, and pumpkin pie isn't sweet, but really just a bunch of spices with a little bit of pumpkin. yum my favorite pie....