Thursday, October 02, 2008
Stink
Pronunciation: \ˈstiŋk\
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): stank \ˈstaŋk\ or stunk \ˈstəŋk\ ; stunk; stink·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English stincan; akin to Old High German stinkan to emit a smell
Date: before 12th century
1: to emit a strong offensive odor (stank of urine)
2: to be offensive ; also : to be in bad repute (the election stank of corruption) ; also to be in bad repute
3: to possess something to an offensive degree (stinking with wealth)
4: to be extremely bad or unpleasant (the performance stank) (that news really stank)

[From Merriam-Webster online]

5: to feel embarrassment or shame (she felt stink when she tripped and fell in front of the class)

[From NZ colloquial sayings - just ask any member of my family]

I felt really stink tonight. I was on my home from the gym, red-faced and sweaty with a ball cap shoved over greasy hair and because it was such a lovely evening (blue sky spring day) I thought I'd walk home, along the waterfront.

Along the waterfront past Wagamama, Mojo, Shed 5 and Dockside.

Along the waterfront where my boyfriend just happened to be drinking at Dockside (or as I like to call it, Wankside cos it's full of wanky types) with some of his colleagues.

I spotted him just as he happened to look my way and, shame, beckoned me over. I should've just ignored him and kept walking but I didn't. I went over to say hello.

In my ugly gym gear. Stink! Needless to say I didn't stay long, or for a drink, before I managed to make my leave. I hate to think what his colleagues thought of me. Oh double stink.

To cheer myself up, I've spent more time on Polyvore.com, my new obsession. It's a website that enables you to mix and match images from the web to create outfits etc. I'm addicted. I've done some sets (searchable if you care to look, under my blog name).

Nothing makes me happier than playing stylist. Almost makes up for feeling stink a few short hours ago.

Tart at 9:39 PM |

3 Comments:

At 3:46 AM, Blogger Lizzy said........
You stinker. Just kidding. I can relate though. Every time I go to lunch with my husband I make him come outside instead of me going in to get him just because I'm such a frumper. I hate to see all his super fancy colleges and their million dollar suits when I'm in jeans and a t-shirt. That and I'm lazy.

I bet you looked cute and stylish even in gym clothes and red faced.
 


At 9:23 AM, Blogger Lizzy said........
Sorry if I'm driving you crazy with comments, but I just looked at your clothes on polyvore and you should be a personal shopper. I wish I could just give you money, my sizes and send you off to shop for me LOL. Kind of like Stacy on What Not To Wear.
 


At 5:32 PM, Blogger Shosh said........
Hey Tart...that stink...but I find that some people find sweat on a girl sexy!

I need a stylist...I don't think I have that gene in the first place.