Thursday, December 07, 2006
So I've been mucking around on Old Friends, seeing what some of the people I went to primary, intermediate and secondary school with, are up to.

I looked up a boy that I had my first kiss and first er, fondle LOL with, at intermediate school (Intermediate is the two years of school before you go to high school - aged usually 11-13). He's now married with three kids, the eldest is 15! Yikes.


And it really does seem that over 90% of people I went to high school with are married with kids!

And many of them never escaped, fled, run like the wind, get out get out get out while you can!, left our small hometown. Poor things LOL. I just can't imagine never leaving the place you were born and grew up. Aren't they curious as what else is out there? Other cities, cultures?

I also looked up my arch nemisis (I sound like a cartoon character LOL). She was the bain of my existence at high school. We were very similar academically and we were really competitive (until I reached 7th Form and got a serious boyfriend and discovered sex! LOL). She used to irk me something chronic. Everything I did, she did. If I got the latest hot pink kung-fu shoes, so did she. If I got 92 for the Shakespeare essay in English, she got 92! LOL. Now I see she's a lawyer for a big firm. I actually wouldn't mind catching up with her again, it could be a laugh.

Or a total nightmare... echoes of Single White Female are suddenly flashing through my mind LOL.


Tart at 4:02 PM |

3 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger Jan said........
Some never left a small hometown, some were curious about other cities and cultures. Some have families, some have nightmares. I really have no intention of saying something inappropriate, it just occured to me that everything has its cost.
 


At 1:36 PM, Blogger Land Rovers Indoor Football Club said........
Hello Temuka - I'm in the big smoke now.
 


At 3:23 PM, Blogger Tart said........
Jan, you're right. Lots of reasons why people stay and why they don't.

My small hometown, while a great place to grow up, wasn't really the kinda place I wanted to live. It's very parochial (airtex shirts and silver fob chains! I'm sure some NZers will understand that LOL).

But I do enjoy going back there (but only once a year LOL). My family are still there (bar parents and the odd aunt) and it does have some really nice wineries and restaurants now (though not many places make a decent coffee LOL).

LRIFC - Temuka! Nice place, nice pottery LOL.