Friday, March 23, 2007
I confess. I love geeks and nerds. (Not dorks though, a lack of social skills and being smelly aren’t appealing LOL).

I also confess to watching Beauty & The Geek. Such a cute show. I think some of the "geeks" are funny, quirky and adorable.

I loved Freaks and Geeks too. One of the funniest shows. I even remember lines from it too (now who’s the nerd?) LOL.

“The dance is tomorrow. She's a cheerleader, you've seen Star Wars 27 times. You do the math.”

“I'm Jewish. That's no cake-walk either. Last year I was elected school treasurer. I didn't even run!”

“You look a little bit like my grandpa”
“Oh, is your grandpa super cool?”

And I think Henry in Ugly Betty is just so sweet and darling.

Anyway, all this geek love came to the fore this week when I had a meeting with our website developers (most things computer related is the domain of the geek). This web company has some of the cutest geeks! The lead developer on “my” project gives Brad Pitt a run for his money. Seriously hot. Nice eyes and hands that I was constantly staring at during the meeting, had to give myself mental face slaps to stop doing it. He also has that whole "geek chic" look too - trendy jeans and a t-shirt with a vest over it. Old school Vans (sneakers).

The appeal of the nerd or geek is that they are smart. I like smart men. (David Beckham is the exception to this rule, but that's okay, he's talented with the football LOL).

The BF has some geek tendencies, he is very smart (one bachelor's degree, one masters degree, a post-grad film degree) and knows a shitload of stuff about flora, fauna, the ocean and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of films (he's ever so handy to have on a pub quiz team LOL).

He's also obsessive about gadgets (geeks love technology!). Especially any gadgets for diving. His dive watch for example has more controls than a car! It measures dive depth and duration, has a dive memory log, records water temperature, measures surface interval, has 180 day power reserve, 3 alarms, luminiscent lighting.... (still with me? LOL). Oh, and it can tell the time too LOL. It's obvious I know a lot about this watch (I guess I have a little bit of geek about me too then LOL).

I draw the line however, at sci-fi geeks and nerds. I find those people that dress up as characters from sci-fi programmes *coughtrekkiescough* odd. Oh, and the online fantasy gamers *coughworldofwarcraftcough* weird too. I guess there's a thin line between cool and not cool geeks LOL.

Tart at 4:19 PM |

4 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger Girlie said........
Hmm...I am kind of geekblind. I can't see which is which.

Have you read Vicki Lewis Thompson's Geek series? They're kind of cute. Like Superman.
 


At 9:08 PM, Blogger Jan said........
I guess, if a guy isn't obsessive about gadgets there's something wrong with him. We never grow up actually, and as we are prone to play we need smart toys because we are smart kids. The moment we stop playing is the moment we start getting older no matter how old we are.
 


At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Haha, loved that post! I'm proud to classify myself as a geek, though not many people would know by looking at me. My most prized possession is my laptop, and I make graphics and code website layouts for fun. I spend way to much time online, and my friends are mystified as to why I'm studying psychology and not web design.

I have watched Star Trek, but that is only because I live with a trekkie. I must, however, admit that I do love Captain Kirk (William Shatner's notorious overacting is hilarious!), Spock and let's not forget the adorable Doc McCoy. Haha. Okay, so I am a little bit of a sci-fi geek, now that I think about it. I've watched Battlestar Galactica too, though that was solely because of Jamie Bamber.
 


At 5:51 AM, Blogger Jo said........
I must have that dive watch....... I heart geeks.... they are so cute and nerdy.... they say jokes that are only funny because they said it.... I miss my ex-geek......