Thursday, August 24, 2006
I was reading the Sydney Morning Herald this morning, and came across Maggie Alderson's "List of Things an Accomplished Modern Gal Should Be Able to Do". Now, I consider myself an "accomplised modern gal", I thought I'd see what things on her list I can actually do.

*Toss a pancake
I'm pretty sure I can so this, however I've never made pancakes so I guess I have to say that I can't do this

* Make a birthday cake without stress
Yep! I made my two neices birthday cakes this year, complete with butter cream icing and decoration. They totally rocked, and the girls loved them!

* Make a soufflé, meringues and chicken stock
Souffle - yes, meringues - no (hate meringue, blech), chicken stock - yes

* Understand the scoring of the major sports (with some leeway for cricket)
Have no problem with most sports, apart from Golf LOL

* Swim
Like a fish baby!

* Ride a bicycle
Like Lance Armstrong baby! LOL

* Drive a car - both manual and automatic transmission
Yep. Though don't get to drive much now as I am currently carless

* Eat dinner alone in a restaurant
I've done this quite a few times, I have no problems eating on my own in a restaurant. In fact one the most memorable meals I ever had was when I ate alone in this small, but incredible French restaurant on Miyajima island, in Japan

* Play poker and backgammon
Ah, nope. Can't do this at all. I've never played poker (I'm more of a Go Fish, or Last Card kinda girl LOL) and cannot for the life of me figure out backgammon LOL

* Grasp the basics of at least one other language
I can get by with basic Japanese, Chinese, French and Portuguese. I'd like to learn Spanish next I think

* Predict what manner of wine most grape varieties will bring you
Sure, I can be a wine wanker with the best of them

* Open a bottle of champagne
I could probably do this blindfolded LOL

* Host a dinner party
Oh, I love dinner parties, so much fun. I haven't had a dinner party for months... it's probably a good time to organise another one

* Sew on a button and shorten a skirt
Yep

* Thread a sewing machine
Yes, two years of sewing classes at intermediate school taught me that

* Have several dishes you can cook without looking at a recipe
Thai Green Curry, Thai Fish Cakes, Chocolate cake, vege stir-fry with satay sauce, lemon and chilli risotto... and toast LOL

* Know when to clap during a classical concert (and when not to...)
I usually just wait until someone else starts clapping and then join in

* Waltz, or at least know how to be led by a man during same or similar
Oh, haven't danced with a bloke for ages. I mean 'proper' dancing, not booty shaking on the dance floor dancing LOL

* Write a letter of condolence and know what to say to someone recently bereaved - the first time you see them after the sad event
Yeah, I can do this, probably not the most eloquently but I do hope they realise how heartfelt it is

* Know how to act around a famous person
Well, I guess telling Bono that The Edge looked like a dickhead in a bar in Tokyo isn't probably the best way of acting around a famous person LOL

* Have at least one restaurant where you are known
Oh, looking at my fat arse, I'd say more than one restaurant knows me LOL

* Be on genial terms with your neighbours, and with the people in the corner shop
Well, I get one quite well with one neighbour (have been around to his place a few times), the others I've never met and I love the people in the corner shop! They save me a copy of NW and a Whittaker's Almond Gold bar every Thursday LOL

* Remember to pay your bills on time and very rarely run out of toilet paper or milk
Yep

* Make a store-cupboard dinner at 10pm after a bottle of wine or several
After a bottle of wine? Hardly, I'll be getting takeways LOL

* Shuffle a pack of cards without dropping them
Ah, without dropping them... then that's a no

* Enjoy being alone for a whole weekend
Oh yeah, I love doing this!

* Knit
Haven't done this since I was about 10, so that would be a no

* Go to the cinema alone
I probably go to the cinema by myself about once a fortnight

* Go to the theatre alone
No, I haven't done this actually

* Have a birthday book and use it
I don't have a birthday book, I have a perpetual calendar that I have all the birthdays written on

* Say no
Uh-huh, though I need to practice this more

* Say yes
Yes!

* Read a newspaper most days (and always at the weekend...)
Everyday, it's part of my morning work routine (get coffee, log on to pc, read paper LOL). I love reading the Sunday morning papers, in bed with tea and toast

* Serve a tennis ball
Hey, they don't call me Martina Hingis for nothing LOL

* Set your video recorder
Don't have a video, but if I did, I'm sure I could do this

* Work a digital camera
Sure, I can give it the old girl guide try

* Surf the net
Well, duh

* Send emails
Like a pro

* Make pastry
Make it? Hell no. Just buy it from the supermarket

* Ski
Yes, but not in any co-ordinated manner LOL

* Recite at least one poem by heart
So, we'll go no more a roving
so late into the night,
though the heart be still as loving,
and the moon be still as bright.

For the sword outwears its sheath,
and the soul wears out the breast,
and the heart must pause to breathe,
and love itself to rest.

Though the night was made for loving,
and the day returns too soon,
yet we'll go no more a roving
by the light of the moon

Lord Byron - So we'll go no more a roving

* Have legible handwriting
Well, I don't write, I print. So it's pretty legible

* Balance a chequebook
Ahahahahahahaha, yeah right

* Know roughly how much is in your current account at any time
Yeah, not enough!

* Pay your credit cards by direct debit
Every week... bugger it

* Remember to put the rubbish out
Wednesday night, after Prison Break

* Recycle
Religiously

* Grow fresh herbs on your windowsill
I have black thumbs, anything green I kill within days so it's better if I just buy fresh herbs from the market when I need them

* Know how to grow something from seed
See above

* Chop an onion correctly and get the thin papery skin off a clove of garlic
Oh, I have this cool garlic press thingy, that you put the whole clove of garlic in, skin and all, and it crushes it, while leaving the skin bit behind

* Light a barbecue (gas and regular)
Good heavens no. Last time I lit a gas appliance - I ended up with scorched eyebrows and eyelashes!

* Hold your drink
Yep, usually in my right hand LOL (if it's wine, I get pissed real quick, otherwise I can hold my drink quite well)


Tart at 10:28 PM |

2 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Blogger Girlie said........
I already know I don't do swim. Does dog paddle count Tart?
 


At 2:36 AM, Blogger Girlie said........
*sob* I am very much ashmaed to say, I don't recycle most of the time, only when I think of it.

But with 5 kids, there isn't much time to think about it. Only..."get that out of here, drop it in the trash now before you drip in to my floor...or no no no, you have to get rid of it now! Right now. Plastic bottles is NOT a step-ladder....nono no. Stop that. Empty milk gallons is not for carrying water to wet my floors."

Get the idea?