Monday, April 23, 2007
It's been a pleasure to commute on the buses these last two weeks (and not because I got to sit on the seat that is situated above the wheels that vibrates quite nicely LOL) but because it has been the school holidays. I definitely notice fewer commuters on the buses during holidays, which is great as it means I get to sit down for the 25 minute journey, as opposed to standing the whole way. Alas, school holidays are over now (first day back today), so this mornings 8.12am bus into town was full with stinky kids. Ugh.

I saw the funniest video clip today - it's on Will Ferrell's website, www.funnyordie.com, and it is freaking hilarious. Please please check out the clip The Landlord, I cracked up! I'm not a big Will Ferrell fan (I think he overacts and doesn't come across as funny, but annoying), but this clip made me giggle. The kid is just too cute.

Still no luck on the boot buying front! Damn you hefty calves. Oh to have chicken legs. I've checked out a few websites that do made to measure boots, but all are overseas and the costs is quite prohibitive (the NZ dollar doesn't go far when you exchange it for pounds). Still, my quest will continue. Somewhere, out there, is the perfect boot for me!

I saw a brilliant film yesterday - Snow Cake. It features Sigourney Weaver and Alan Rickman (whom I adore!). Weaver plays a high functioning autistic woman, and her performance is amazing (personally, think her acting here surpasses what Dustin Hoffman did in Rain Man). The film is funny, engaging, poignant and whimsical. Great acting from Rickman too, I love his weariness and his slightly mocking overtones. And I love his voice - very sexy (the boyfriend says his voice is like that because he has a speech impediment... whatever! I don't care, he's still damn sexy LOL).

There's a plethora of sporting events happening at the moment. First there's the U19 Rugby World Cup (which I have just been told, NZ beat South Africa in the final - woo hoo), the Cricket World Cup (NZ Black Caps down to final four), America's Cup, Super 14... I have sports watching fatigue. Which is rare for me as I am a big sports fan.

In other news, it's Anzac Day on Wednesday. Anzac Day (April 25) is a day that commemorates all New Zealanders killed in war and also honours returned servicemen and women.

Anzac Day does not mark a military triumph (like V.E day in the UK). The date itself marks the anniversary of the landing of New Zealand and Australian soldiers - the ANZACs - on the Gallipoli peninsula in 1915. Thousands lost their lives in the Gallipoli campaign, including 2721 New Zealanders (almost one in four of those who served on Gallipoli).

Anzac Day was first marked in 1916. Services (almost like funerals really), are conducted all over New Zealand, big cities and small towns alike. There are often dawn services, timed to coincide with the initial landings in Gallipoli. Sometimes there will be a parade. It's a very moving ceremony.


I'm thinking of going to the Wellington dawn service on Wednesday, something I haven't done for a long time. When I was growing up I'd attend dawn services with my grandfather, who served in the 28th Maori Battalion during World War II.

[Sources: RNZRSA, NZ History]

Tart at 2:13 PM |

0 Comments: